Welcome to the web site of the Michigan Botanical Club, the native plant society for the state of Michigan and the Great Lakes Region, and the home of the Michigan Big Tree Program.
We have added a new page to the MBC Website about events that are not sponsored by the MBC or MBC chapters, but may be of interest to MBC members. Click on the "Programs of Interest" tab on the left.
Each chapter holds monthly meetings and sponsors field trips. Every Memorial Day, the Michigan Botanical Club sponsors a Foray to a different area of Michigan.
Check the MBC News section for more information.
The 2015 Spring Foray
The Spring Foray, was hosted by the Southeastern Chapter May 22-25 at Four Points Sheraton-Saginaw. Field trips explored "the various habitats of the region, from Great Lakes marshes to lakeplain prairie, from floodplain forest to raised bog, and from dune and swale to horticultural garden" .
Here are the foray attendees on the final evening. Thank you, Southeastern Chapter, for all your hard work in putting this fine event together!
Congratulations to the recipients of the 2015 Student Foray Awards: Callie Chappell (HVC), Emily Van Staalduinem (WPC), Cortney Benson (WPC), Katie Manning, Joseph Huston (WPC), Jim Jensen (WPC), Mary Martin (SEC), and Sabrina Mastroianni (SEC). (front row, not necessarily in order).
The Arisaema newsletter is now available online to members of the Michigan Botanical Club. Click here to access the Arisaema newsletter.
The club was founded in 1941 and consists of five chapters. The focus of the Michigan Botanical Club is:
- Conservation of all native plants.
- Education of the public to appreciate and preserve plant life.
- Sponsorship of research and publication on the plant life of the State.
- Sponsorship of legislation to promote preservation of Michigan native flora.
- Establishment of suitable sanctuaries and natural areas.
- Cooperation in programs concerned with the use and conservation of all natural resources and scenic features.